Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Homework 1: Games I like

1. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Official Website URL's of the Game: http://www.zelda.com/ocarina3d/
                                                            http://www.zelda.com/universe/game/ocarinatime/
Original Release Date: November 21st, 1998 on Nintendo 64
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Platform(s): Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii(Virutal Console), Nintendo 3DS, Wii U(Virtual Console)


One of my earliest memories was seeing this intro before starting my first quest

     My introduction to video games actually initially began due to my Uncle Nick. The games that intrigued him were what he shared with me when I was just 3 years old in 1998. Of all the games he shared with me, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was the most memorable. The game not only introduced me to a world I had never been too but it challenged me and intrigued me to continue. I wanted to explore everything I could see, and this game did just that in how it guided me through it's beautiful world. 

Artwork of the Hero beginning his quest entering the very first Dungeon

     I myself absolutely loved the classical music played throughout my house by my father, and the musical arrangements of this game contained such a deep richness to them that the music itself guided me and engrossed me throughout the adventure. The combat introduced me to a game mechanic called Z-Targetting that allowed me to focus on the battle with one opponent at a time, this provided me with suspense, focus, and a more personal battle with my foe.

Z-Targetting, during a battle with a Wolf(White Wolfos being the official name)

     This game also introduced me to a challenge that didn't just challenge my finesse, but rather my intellect. The puzzles within the dungeons prevented me from continuing. Something I had never experienced within a game at that time. I could only proceed by reasoning and understanding objectively. This gave me a more personal connection with the hero that I became overtime; in exploring the dungeon to solve the problem, discovering and understanding the solution didn't provide me with the reward of leveling up, but rather the leveling up of my own problem solving skills to better proceed through my quest.


    For all the reasons above that I hold dear to my heart, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is the game that inspires me, challenges me and stands the test of time when I think of a game that I particularly like.

2. Banjo-Kazooie

Game Information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo-Kazooie
Website of the Developer: http://www.rare.co.uk
Developer: Rare
Original Release Date: June 29th, 1998 on Nintendo 64
Platform(s): Nintendo 64, Xbox 360


Box art of the game with our protagonists, the bear and bird heroes

     Another game that I hold dear was yet another that I played on the Nintendo 64. In this game I didn't control just one hero, but two working together. The game was a platforming experience full of humor, color, and variety.

The first foe Banjo encounters, a carrot


      While going off on this adventure, I never really felt myself become the character, but rather I felt like I was joining them through it. I felt a real sense of freedom in the open space that I journeyed through. This game introduced me to a sense of freedom in flight with the bird, Kazooie, while at the same time having a tremendous amount of control while on the ground with the bear, Banjo. 

Flight with Kazooie carrying Banjo

     Grant Kirkhope, the composer of this game, created an absolutely beautiful soundtrack full of a tremendous variety of instruments. Ranging from string instruments like the Banjo and the violin, to woodwind instruments like the saxophone. 




     The entire soundtrack combined with the level design, was so jovial that it helped create a fun environment that I never wanted to stop messing around with.




No comments:

Post a Comment